What to Do If Your Child Ingests Your Prescription Medicine
Sometimes, even if you’ve locked up your medication in a remote corner of your home, there are children who still find a way to get their tiny hands on your candy-colored pills.
In our last blog, West Lake Pharmacy enumerated the Top 3 Medications That are Fatal to Children. Today, we instruct you on what to do if ever your children manage to accidentally ingest your medicine.
- If your child is stable and conscious
DO NOT give him ipecac syrup or try to make him vomit the medicine out – doctors say this can cause more harm than help to your little one. Contact the poison control center at 800-222-1222 (in the US).
Tell the operator/agent as much information as possible: which medicine you think your child has swallowed, when they swallowed it, and how much of it did they take. Follow instructions given by the operator/agent.
- If your child is having a seizure, is listless, or experiencing trouble breathing
WASTE NO TIME. CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY OR CONTACT YOUR CHILD’S PRIMARY PHYSICIAN.
Is your medication giving you allergies? Our Compounding Pharmacy in New Jersey can help you by removing the allergen from your medicine’s ingredients.